Raleigh Specialist Offerings
As we work to address the whole child through creative enrichment opportunities, DECS is proud to offer an array of specialist subjects.
- STEAM: Students have an every other day exploration of STEAM activities, combining science, technology, engineering, art, and math into a wide variety of interactive projects and possibilities.
- Outdoor Science & Physical Education: Students enjoy a mix of physical education and outdoor science class every other day. A variety of science, physical education, and health standards are covered as students explore, learn, and develop lifelong health and wellness skills.
- Music: Students experience music through song, play, instruments, movement, creating, reading notating and listening. In grade 5, students have the opportunity to build on this music foundation with choices of choir and band.
- Visual Arts: Students have art every other day. We encourage students to use a variety of creative tools and materials to express themselves through ideas and art concepts.
- Languages: Students have the opportunity to take classes in American Sign Language or Spanish every other day. Students work on skills needed to obtain language acquisition — reading, writing, speaking, and listening.